Recently, I’ve been spending a lot of time in Southeast Asia, visiting amazing places like Singapore (check out my ultimate travel itinerary for Singapore here) and Langkawi (read about my amazing experiences in Langkawi here). Hopping about from island to island, I’ve learned a lot of stuff – including which must-have essentials you absolutely need to take with you and all the excess stuff you can definitely do without carrying around!
If you’re planning on visiting Southeast Asia (you really should – it’s beyond amazing) here’s my list of ten must-have accessories that will make your trip ten times better without making your luggage ten times heavier!
1. Fedora hat – I never leave home without this hat. Not only does it protect my face from the sun, but it also pulls together any outfit and makes even the most mismatching clothes work well every time. Sure, you could wear any old hat, but a fedora is timelessly stylish, goes with literally everything and creates loads of shade for your face – super important when you’re traveling around Southeast Asia!
2. Cute cap – As well as my fedora, I also always throw a cute and casual cap into my bag. The fedora is great for looking chic and stylish, but the cap is so much better for active days filled with spontaneous scooter road trips, exciting watersport adventures + scenic nature hikes.
3. Cool sunglasses – These classic aviator shades go with absolutely everything. You’ve gotta protect your eyes, so why not look cool at the same time? Different colors and designs go in and out of fashion all the time, but you can never go wrong with the original aviator sunglasses.
4. Quality sunscreen – A bright red lobster isn’t a look anyone can pull off, so take care of your skin and slap on some sunscreen. Supergoop! is my favorite sunscreen because it’s super protective (SPF 50), it’s not oily at all and it comes in 3 different sizes, including one small enough to throw into your carry-on if you’re traveling light.
5. Travel scarf – This is the perfect accessory that you can snuggle up with on the plane to keep warm when the air-con is blasting. It also comes in super handy when you’re exploring temples or religious buildings and need to cover up your shoulders. Whenever you’re not using it, it’s small and light enough to scrunch up and store in even the smallest bags.
6. Sturdy flip-flops – It’s so important to pick up a pair of sturdy, long-lasting flip flops for when you’re traveling around Southeast Asia because you’ll be wearing them so often. From lazy beach days and dusty city walks to showing in hostel bathrooms, you need a good pair of flip flops you can rely on that won’t fall apart on you when you least suspect it!
7. Leather sandals – You can’t go your whole trip wearing just a pair of flip flops – you also need a pair of leather sandals that can work for casual daytime outfits and dressy evening outfits, too. I love these ones because they’re super comfy and come in 4 different colors to match whatever you’re wearing.
8. Bathing suit – The beaches in Southeast Asia are incredible, so make sure you’ve got a swimsuit so you can make the most of them! I love this palm tree print bikini – it makes me feel super summery and tropical every time I wear it. If you decide to buy it, make sure you order a size up because it runs small.
9. Black cover-up with tassels – This beach cover-up is perfect for traveling to and from the beach without exposing your skin to too much sunshine. And just like the travel scarf, it’s thin and light enough to pop into your bag without worrying about it taking up too much space or being too heavy.
10. Longchamp bag – One of my favorite bags of all-time, this black Longchamp bag is fantastic for every occasion. It goes from being the perfect carry-on for your flight to the ideal beach bag with enough room to hold towels, spare clothes, reading material and snacks. I don’t know where I’d be without it!
Have you visited Southeast Asia? What are the must-have accessories you couldn’t have done without? Let me know in the comments section below so I can check them out!
For more of my favorite travel essentials, check out my post on 12 Carry-On Travel Must-Haves.
Your SoulTravelFitness Coach